Prep 20 mins
Cook 8 hrs
- 8 ounces kielbasa, cut in 1/4 inch slices
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes, with liquid
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 medium green pepper, diced
- 2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon chicken bouillon granule
- 1 tablespoon steak sauce
- 3 bay leaves or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 cup uncooked instant rice
- Combine sausage tomatoes onion green pepper celery boullion steak sauce bay leaves sugar and hot pepper sauce in crockpot.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 hours.
- Remove bay leaves; stir in rice and 1/2 cup water.
- Cook additional 25 mins.
I didn't have green pepper and I used 1/2c+1T frozen celery, bay leaves, 1/2 t hot sauce, and added 2t brown sugar (after cooking). This was ok, not great. Could maybe use a bit more sugar to counter the slight sour taste.
Very tasty.....but I have to admit that I made a few changes.....just personal prefernces. I didn't have any cajun sausage so I used hot Italian....and skipped the chicken boullion and steak spice. I added brown sugar instead of white and found that no other spices were needed as the Italian sausage really gave all the spice I could want. Thanks again for a great recipe...This is one that gobbled up by my guys in no time !
Okay i had to rate this again because I made it in a skillet instead of slow cooker, and it still turned out awesome, but only takes about 30 min, also I added mixed peppers and 1 up of salsa, yummy