Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I'm posting this to try later. Cook times are estimates. Times weren't available on the website. Not having much kitchen experience, my times may be way off...sorry.
- 1⁄4 cup oil
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 1⁄2 lbs boneless short ribs
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 head garlic, cut in half
- 4 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons black peppercorns
- 1 1⁄2 cups red wine
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 (32 ounce) box low sodium beef broth or 1 (32 ounce) box veal stock
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup leek, diced
- 2 cups hamakua mushrooms, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 cup white pearl onion
- 2 cups barley
- 4 cups vegetable stock or 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon mascarpone cheese
- ground pepper, to taste
- salt, to taste
- Heat oil in deep, heavy bottomed sauce pot.
- Coat short ribs well with flour and sear all sides of the short ribs until dark brown.
- Remove short ribs from pot.
- Add in celery, carrots, onion, garlic, bay leaves and black peppercorns to sauce pot.
- Cook all vegetables until golden brown and add short ribs back to sauce pot.
- Deglaze sauce pot with red wine, soy sauce and sugar.
- Reduce liquid by half and add in beef broth or veal stock.
- Braise meat on medium heat for approximately 1-2 hours until fork tender.
- Remove short ribs and vegetables.
- Reduce the liquid until it reaches a sauce like consistency and serve with short ribs.
- Serve short ribs with the braised vegetables over pearl onion barley.
- PEARL ONION & BARLEY.
- Use a medium sized, heavy bottomed sauce pot.
- Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in pot.
- Add leeks, mushrooms and pearl onions. Sauté until shiny.
- Add the barley and vegetable stock.
- Turn down heat to low and stir occasionally for approximately 30 minutes.
- Barley should be almost tender. Most of the liquid should be absorbed into the barley.
- Keep heat on low and add in mascarpone cheese, remaining butter, ground pepper and salt to taste. This will bind the barley and make it creamier. Serve immediately.
- Tear your favorite fresh herbs over the top of the barley as an extra touch if desired.