Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
I'm posting this to try later. Cook times are estimates. Times weren't available on the website. Not having much kitchen experience, my times may be way off...sorry.
- 1⁄4 cup oil
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 1⁄2 lbs boneless short ribs
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 head garlic, cut in half
- 4 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons black peppercorns
- 1 1⁄2 cups red wine
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 (32 ounce) box low sodium beef broth or 1 (32 ounce) box veal stock
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup leek, diced
- 2 cups hamakua mushrooms, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 cup white pearl onion
- 2 cups barley
- 4 cups vegetable stock or 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon mascarpone cheese
- ground pepper, to taste
- salt, to taste
- Heat oil in deep, heavy bottomed sauce pot.
- Coat short ribs well with flour and sear all sides of the short ribs until dark brown.
- Remove short ribs from pot.
- Add in celery, carrots, onion, garlic, bay leaves and black peppercorns to sauce pot.
- Cook all vegetables until golden brown and add short ribs back to sauce pot.
- Deglaze sauce pot with red wine, soy sauce and sugar.
- Reduce liquid by half and add in beef broth or veal stock.
- Braise meat on medium heat for approximately 1-2 hours until fork tender.
- Remove short ribs and vegetables.
- Reduce the liquid until it reaches a sauce like consistency and serve with short ribs.
- Serve short ribs with the braised vegetables over pearl onion barley.
- PEARL ONION & BARLEY.
- Use a medium sized, heavy bottomed sauce pot.
- Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in pot.
- Add leeks, mushrooms and pearl onions. Sauté until shiny.
- Add the barley and vegetable stock.
- Turn down heat to low and stir occasionally for approximately 30 minutes.
- Barley should be almost tender. Most of the liquid should be absorbed into the barley.
- Keep heat on low and add in mascarpone cheese, remaining butter, ground pepper and salt to taste. This will bind the barley and make it creamier. Serve immediately.
- Tear your favorite fresh herbs over the top of the barley as an extra touch if desired.