2 hrs 30 mins
I'm posting this to try later. Cook times are estimates. Times weren't available on the website. Not having much kitchen experience, my times may be way off...sorry.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 1/2 lbs boneless short ribs
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 head garlic, cut in half
- 4 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons black peppercorns
- 1 1/2 cups red wine
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 (32 ounce) box low sodium beef broth or 1 (32 ounce) box veal stock
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup leek, diced
- 2 cups hamakua mushrooms, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 cup white pearl onion
- 2 cups barley
- 4 cups vegetable stock or 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon mascarpone cheese
- ground pepper, to taste
- salt, to taste
- 1Heat oil in deep, heavy bottomed sauce pot.
- 2Coat short ribs well with flour and sear all sides of the short ribs until dark brown.
- 3Remove short ribs from pot.
- 4Add in celery, carrots, onion, garlic, bay leaves and black peppercorns to sauce pot.
- 5Cook all vegetables until golden brown and add short ribs back to sauce pot.
- 6Deglaze sauce pot with red wine, soy sauce and sugar.
- 7Reduce liquid by half and add in beef broth or veal stock.
- 8Braise meat on medium heat for approximately 1-2 hours until fork tender.
- 9Remove short ribs and vegetables.
- 10Reduce the liquid until it reaches a sauce like consistency and serve with short ribs.
- 11Serve short ribs with the braised vegetables over pearl onion barley.
- 12PEARL ONION & BARLEY.
- 13Use a medium sized, heavy bottomed sauce pot.
- 14Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in pot.
- 15Add leeks, mushrooms and pearl onions. Sauté until shiny.
- 16Add the barley and vegetable stock.
- 17Turn down heat to low and stir occasionally for approximately 30 minutes.
- 18Barley should be almost tender. Most of the liquid should be absorbed into the barley.
- 19Keep heat on low and add in mascarpone cheese, remaining butter, ground pepper and salt to taste. This will bind the barley and make it creamier. Serve immediately.
- 20Tear your favorite fresh herbs over the top of the barley as an extra touch if desired.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Braised Short Ribs
Serving Size: 1 (727 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1973.7
- Calories from Fat 1260
- Total Fat 140.0 g
- Saturated Fat 59.9 g
- Cholesterol 265.1 mg
- Sodium 1361.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 108.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 19.6 g
- Sugars 14.1 g
- Protein 57.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
low sodium beef broth