Prep 2 hrs
Cook 50 mins
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 7 ounces lard
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons water, cold
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 pint raspberries
- 8 large granny smith apples
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon clove
- Freeze the flour in a medium bowl for
- one hour.
- Refrigerate the lard for one hour then cut into cubes.
- In small cup combine vinegar, salt and water.
- Measure 1 cup flour on to table, place lard cubes on top then cover with the remaining flour.
- Roll rolling pin over the mixture until all of t pieces have been flattened and slightly incorporated.
- Scrape into a bowl an mix with liquid.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface.
- With a lightly floured rolling pin, roll out a rectangle about 8 X 12 inches.
- Fol to the center and roll out slightly to form an 8 inch square.
- Roll and fol once more.
- Wrap in parchment or waxed paper and refrigerate until needed.
- Peel and cut and core apples into eighths.
- Then dice crosswise into 1 1/2 chunks.
- Toss apples with lemon juice.
- Blend together 1/2 cup sugar with flour and spices.
- Add apples and toss until evenly coated.
- Add raspberries last toss lightly.
- Cut 1/3 dough and reserve.
- Roll remaining dough into a round 5 inches larger than dish.
- Place and fit into dish and trim overhang to 1 inch.
- Spoon in apples and dome evenly.
- Roll out remaining shell, crimp.
- Sprinkle remaining sugar onto crust.
- Cut 5 slits in center of dough.
- Bake 425 degrees for 10 minutes, lower temperature to 400 degrees for 40 minutes, turning to brown evenly, Let cool.
I cheated and used a store bought crust, but I had nothing but rave reviews for the pie. Even heard "it was the best thing I ever tasted"