Great with a cup of tea or coffee for a snack, but equally at home on the breakfast or brunch table.
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl, mix all the dry ingredients (powdered almonds through sugar).
- Add the butter cubes, and massage them into the dry ingredients with your hands until you can no longer discern them; the mixture should look crumbly/sandy.
- Add all remaining ingredients (EXCEPT powdered sugar), mixing with a wooden spoon until they are completely incorporated, but do not over-mix.
- Divide the dough into 2 balls; it will be sticky but use a bit of additional flour to work.
- One at a time, lay each ball on a well-floured surface; sprinkle the top with flour, then flatten with your (well-floured) hands into a circle about 8 to 10 inches and 1 to 2 inches thick.
- Cut each circle into 8 wedges and place on a non-stick bake sheet (use a spatula if needed to facilitate the transfer).
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, until the scones are puffed and golden in color.
- If desired, dust with powdered sugar when cooled.