Irish Potato Scones
Snack on them - serve as a side with dinner - fry them for breakfast or brunch
- Ready In:
- 2 cups boiled mashed potatoes
- 2⁄3 cup flour
- 3 tablespoons melted bacon fat (NOT margarine) or 3 tablespoons butter (NOT margarine)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- Mash potatoes well, add real butter and salt.
- Add as much flour as potatoes will take without becoming too dry.
- Turn out onto a floured board, roll until ¼ inch in thickness.
- Cut into circles, approximately 2½“ in diameter.
- Prick all over with a fork.
- Cook on a hot dry griddle or heavy pan dusted with a little flour.
- When they brown with small darker spots appearing, they are cooked.
- Serve hot off the griddle with maple syrup, golden syrup, honey or butter.
- Wrap uneaten scones in greaseproof paper and refrigerate.
- Reheat cold scones by frying them in bacon fat until crisp, and serve with bacon and eggs – delicious!
- *Flour amount varies according to the type of potato used.
- For Vegetarian omit the bacon fat. Do not refry in Bacon fat to reheat for Vegetarian. And you might want to serve it with Vegetarian bacon not real bacon.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION