Orange Almond Scones
These are a little more involved than some scones, but still quick and delicious. I love them with raspberry jam and whipped cream. Wonderful in the morning or at teatime.
- Ready In:
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice, fresh is best
- 1⁄4 1/4 cup plain yogurt or 1/4 cup milk
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 cups flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup almonds, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon orange peel, grated
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Mix together liguids with egg and extract, beat well with a fork (a 2 cup measuring cup is perfect for this.).
- Mix together in a separate bowl flour, baking powder and soda, and salt.
- Cut in butter until fine granules form.
- Stir in sugar, almonds and orange peel.
- Add egg mixture and stir with a fork until a soft dough forms, add a little extra milk if needed.
- Turn out onto a board and give 5-6 kneads.
- Divide dough in half and pat into circles on an ungreased cookie sheet; cut each circle into 6-8 wedges, depending what size scone you want.
- For crisper scones seperate wedges on the sheet.
- Bake about 25 minutes or until medium brown.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation