Zaarbucks Famous Apricot Almond Scones
- Ready In:
- 1⁄2 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 1⁄2 cup fat free sour cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons almond extract
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 -4 tablespoons chilled reduced fat margarine or 3 -4 tablespoons low-fat butter
- 1⁄3 cup dried apricot, small diced
- 1⁄4 cup sliced almonds
- 2 teaspoons nonfat milk
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Prepare baking sheet by spraying lightly with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine the the flour, 1/4 cup sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Cut in the margarine until the mixture resembles course meal.
- Add the apricots and almonds into the flour mixture and mix thoroughly.
- In a smaller bowl, mix together the yogurt, sour cream, and extracts.
- Cut and fold the yogurt/sour cream mixture into the flour until you can collect the dough. Knead the dough on a lightly floured surface just until it can be shaped. If the dough is too sticky add a little more flour but take care not to add too much as it toughens up the scones. Similarly, over kneading the dough also diminishes the final result.
- Place the dough ball on the baking sheet and spread out into an 8 or 10 inch disk.
- Lightly brush the milk on the top and sprinkle with the remaining 2 teaspoons of sugar.
- Using a very long knife (bread knives work well) cut half way through the dough. You are making indentations, not actually portioning the scone. Repeat until the scone has been divided into 8 wedges. (You can also cut into 12 pieces if you want smaller pieces).
- Bake the scones 20 - 22 minutes.
- Best served warm but cold is good too.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation