Potted Stuffed Beef Heart and Madeira Gravy
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
From a Woman's Day magazine from 1978. This can also be cooked in a slow (300° F.) oven, for the same amount of time.
- Ready In:
- 3hrs 10mins
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup celery & leaves, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups cooked rice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 beef heart
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 tablespoon madeira wine, more if needed
- minced parsley or celery leaves
- Heat 2 tablespoons butter in Dutch oven and saute onions and celery until tender.
- Stir in rice.
- Add poultry seasoning, salt, and pepper, and set aside.
- Remove cords and excess fat from heart.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Sew heart partially closed with large needle and heavy thread, leaving a pocket.
- Fill with rice mixture (if any is left over, heat separately).
- Sew closed.
- Heat remaining butter and oil in Dutch oven until bubbly.
- Add heart and brown on all sides.
- Add water.
- Cover and simmer over low heat until tender, about 3 hours.
- Remove heart and let rest 15-20 minutes.
- Remove threads and slice thin.
- For gravy:.
- Blend flour and wine.
- Stir flour mixture into pan juices and cook and stir until slightly thickened.
- Sprinkle parsley over meat and serve with gravy.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION