Braised Stuffed Beef Heart
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 15mins
- 1 beef heart, washed and trimmed (about 3 pounds)
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄3 cup dried prune, cut in pieces
- 1⁄2 cooking apple, peeled and chopped
- 3 tablespoons shortening
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons water
- 3 cooking apples, peeled, halved and cored
- 2 tablespoons red currant jelly
- Season meat inside and out with salt and pepper.
- Stuff heart with prunes and chopped apple.
- Close opening with skewers.
- Melt 2 tablespoons of the shortening in a heavy pan with a lid.
- Brown meat on all sides,
- Remove meat from pan.
- Add onion and remaining shortening.
- Saute onion until softened.
- Return meat to pan.
- Add water.
- Cover and simmer 1 1/2 hours, or until meat is tender, adding more water if necessary.
- Add apple halves to pan.
- Cover and simmer 15 minutes, or until tender.
- Remove meat and apples to serving plate and keep warm.
- Place onion and pan drippings in bowl of food processor and puree.
- Place 2 teaspoons jelly in each apple half.
- Slice meat across the grain and serve with pureed onion mixture.
- Variation: Instead of fruit, stuff heart with fresh parsley.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!