Baked Bacon and Cheddar Croquettes
This is a healthier take on the usual deep-fried croquettes. The picture shows the croquettes before I decided to toast the breadcrumbs, otherwise the color would have been better.
- Ready In:
- 2 lbs russet potatoes
- 6 ounces bacon
- 6 ounces light cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper, ground
- 1 large egg
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Peel potatoes, then cut the larger ones in half and boil for 20 minutes.
- Combine breadcrumbs with salt and pepper and place on a baking sheet. Cook for no more than 2 minutes, or long enough to brown them.
- While the potatoes are boiling, pan fry the bacon until crispy, then dry on a paper towel.
- Mash potatoes by hand or run through a ricer.
- Chop bacon into small pieces, then combine with shredded cheese and potatoes. Roll mixture into 15 equal-sized balls; an ice cream scoop is a good way to do this.
- Place egg in a small container with a tablespoon of water and whisk. Place breadcrumbs in another small container. Roll each ball in the egg, then in the breadcrumbs, and place on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray.
- Bake for 10 minutes, then turn over and bake for another 10 minutes.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION