Baked Bacon & Cheddar Croquettes
photo by Late Night Gourmet
- Ready In:
- 2 lbs russet potatoes
- 6 ounces bacon
- 6 ounces light cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 large egg
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Peel potatoes, then cut the larger ones in half and boil for 20 minutes.
- While the potatoes are boiling, pan fry the bacon until crispy, then dry on a paper towel.
- Mash potatoes by hand or run through a ricer.
- Chop bacon into small pieces, then combine with shredded cheese and potatoes. Roll mixture into 10 equal-sized balls.
- Place egg in a small container and whisk. Place breadcrumbs in another small container. Roll each ball in the egg, then in the breadcrumbs, and place on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray.
- Bake for 15 minutes, then turn over and bake for another 15 minutes.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I have two teenagers who keep things very busy around our house during the daytime. I also work long hours at Ford Motor Company, and I do want to spend time with my family every day. If I try to cook when my kids have their friends over, I'm certain to be interrupted. In other words, my available times for cooking are very limited. I don't want to give up on anything I love - my family, my job, my cooking - so I do most of my cooking after everyone has gone to bed. My wife is a teacher, so this can be very late at night during the summer. Sometimes, I don't get started with my prep work until 12:30 a.m. Am I crazy?? Maybe. I'm also constantly working on healthier ways to prepare food. I deconstruct every recipe I like, and try to make it with healthier ingredients. The big challenge is keeping the food tasty. I believe it's possible to enjoy what you eat and still be healthy. I lost 15 pounds in 6 months largely by preparing my own food (and exercising). If I didn't keep such loony hours, I'd call myself "The Healthy Gourmet".