Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Putting here for safe keeping. Serve with a salad or with steamed spinach. Enjoy! Serving: 1 chicken thigh with about 1 cup of bean mixture (6 points per serving) For some reason the amount stock will not save it is 3/4 c but I use more.
- 4 (5 ounce) skinless bone-in chicken thighs
- 1 (15 ounce) can cannellini or 1 (15 ounce) can navy beans, drained and rinsed
- 11 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- chicken stock, reduced sodium
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh sage or 1 teaspoon dried sage
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- Sprinkle chicken with garlic powder, salt and pepper. Heat oil in Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook, turning once, until browned, about 6 minutes. Transfer to plate.
- Add remaining 1 tsp oil to Dutch oven. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, 30 seconds.
- Add flour and cook, stirring constantly, until it browns slightly, about 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes and stock; bring to boil, stirring constantly to scrape browned bits from bottom of pot.
- Add chicken, beans, and sage. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, until chicken is tender and cooked through, about 20 minutes.
- Stir in lemon zest.
This was a really nice recipe. I used rosemary instead of the sage, just personal preference. I also cut the lemon zest in half, as it is really strong and I didn't want to overpower the dish. I added 1/4 c of minced, fresh parsley with the zest at the end for some additional freshness and color. Really nice, complex flavors. I will make this again, perhaps adding a small amount of Italian sausage as a complement.