I really love the Beer Cheese Soup from the Hilltop in Steven's Point, WI. But I never get up there anymore so I had to create my own. Trust me, I made a lot of bad beer cheese soups until I got it right. Now I want to post it here so I can remember the recipe and you all can benefit from my mistakes!
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup onion, diced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 3 -4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups potatoes, cubed
- 1 (15 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1 (12 ounce) can beer (something thats not too bitter or dark, coors light works great for me)
- 1 1⁄2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 3 -4 tablespoons merkt's cheese spread
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown mustard
- cayenne pepper
- Melt butter in a large soup pot. Sauté celery, carrots and onions until the onions are soft.
- Add garlic to pot and sauté one minute.
- Add chicken broth and potatoes to pot. Bring to a boil and boil until the potatoes are tender.
- Turn heat down so soup is at a low simmer, Add half the beer to the pot. You can add more later after tasting, but if you add too much right off the bat it can really make the soup bitter.
- Add cream of chicken soup and stir till blended.
- Now you can add your cheeses. Add the shredded cheddar a little bit at a time and stir continuously until it is melted and smooth, do the same with the cheese spread. (I'll often toss my shredded cheese with a bit of cornstarch before melting it. This keeps it from clumping up a bit).
- Now you can add the Worcestershire, mustard, salt, pepper and cayenne to taste. This would also be the time to add some more beer if you'd like.
Very flavorful soup. I did have to make a couple of adjustments, due to my geographical area (Canada). I used a Canadian beer and wasn't sure of the cheese spread, so used 4 pieces of Laughing Cow. Fortunately for me, when in the U.S, I buy Cabot extra sharp white cheddar cheese. Delicious. Made for PAC Spring 2011. :)
I've never been to the Hilltop even though I live about 30 minutes away but this soup is amazing. One of our new faves! Thanks for posting, I'll be making this often.