Recipe by Sydney Mike
Although this recipe comes from Taste of Home Best Holiday Recipes, 2008, it has been tweaked to better suit my preferences -- After all, I LOVE CRANBERRIES! [NOTE of 7 Dec 08: I appreciate chef NurseJaney bringing to my attention (AFTER she'd tried making this recipe) that there MIGHT be an error in an ingredient amount! Sure enough, instead of the correct 2 1/4 cups of flour, I'd inadvertantly stated it as 1 1/4 cups! My sincere apologies!]
Top Review by LilPinkieJ
The blondies were quite good. I'm glad I got here after the updated amounts. They turned out just right. I did add a tiny bit of almond extract, just as a preference with the cranberry flavor. I wasn't fond of the frosting. I think the cream cheese was overpowering for us. So I just whipped up a regular buttercream frosting and added the orange zest with that. Oh, I also sprinkled some mini white chips on top with the craisins. I had them leftover from your Recipe #333870. Great stuff. Made and Reviewed for 123 Hit Wonders Tag - Thanks! :)
FOR THE BLONDIE
- 3⁄4 cup unsalted butter, cubed
- 1 1⁄2 cups light brown sugar, packed
- 2 large eggs
- 3⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3⁄4 cup dried cranberries
- 6 (1 ounce) white chocolate baking squares, coarsely chopped
FOR THE FROSTING
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon orange zest, minced
- 6 (1 ounce) white chocolate baking squares, melted
- 3⁄4 cup dried cranberries, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- FOR THE BLONDIE ~ In a microwave-safe bowl, melt butter.
- Stir in brown sugar, then transfer to a large mixing bowl & cool to room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F & grease a 13"x9" baking dish.
- Beat in eggs & vanilla.
- In another bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, salt & cinnamon, then gradually this flour mixture to butter mixture.
- Stir in cranberries & chopped chocolate ~ Batter will be thick.
- Spread into prepared baking dish & bake 18-21 minutes or until tootpick inserted near center comes out clean (DO NOT OVERBAKE!).
- Cool on wire rack.
- FOR THE FROSTING ~ In a large mixing bowl, beat cream cheese, powdered sugar & zest until blended.
- Gradually add half the melted chocolate, & beat until blended.
- Frost blondies, then sprinkle with chopped dried cranberries.
- Drizzle with remaining melted chocolate.
- Cut into bars & store in refrigerator.