Recipe by coconutty
Posted here for safekeeping. This is another variation on Julia's basic recipe for leek and potato soup.
- 1 lb potato, peeled and diced (I leave skins on)
- 3 cups leeks, thinly sliced (white and tender green parts only)
- 2 quarts water
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 cup watercress leaf, and tender stems
- 4 -6 tablespoons whipping cream or 2 -3 tablespoons softened butter
Directions See How It's Made
- When measuring the watercress leaves and stems, pack them down in the measuring cup.
- Simmer leeks, potatoes, water and salt together, partially covered, 40-50 minutes until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in watercress and simmer 5 minutes.
- While the watercress is simmering, you can prepare the following optional garnish if you wish: a small handful of watercress leaves boiled 30 seconds, rinsed in cold water and drained.
- Mash the vegetables in the soup with a fork, or puree in blender. Correct seasoning.
- Off heat and just before serving, stir in cream or butter by spoonfuls. Decorate with the optional watercress leaves.