Onion Quiche or Gratin (Adapted from Julia Child)
- Ready In:
- 1hr 55mins
- 7 cups onions, minced (2 pounds)
- 4 tablespoons butter (or try using less)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons flour
- 2 eggs or 3 egg yolks
- 2⁄3 cup milk, cream or 2/3 cup half-and-half
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1⁄2 cup grated swiss cheese or 1/2 cup gruyere cheese
- 1 (8 inch) pastry shells (optional see note below)
- Place oven rack in upper third of oven. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Cook onions in butter over very low heat til tender and golden, stirring occasionally (about 1 hour). Remove from heat and let cool somewhat.
- Add flour; cook over low heat for 2 or 3 minutes.
- In a bowl, combine eggs, milk or cream, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Beat til well blended.
- Gradually add onions and half cheese. Check seasoning.
- Pour into pastry shell or baking dish. Sprinkle remaining cheese on top. Place on baking sheet.
- Bake 25-30 minutes or until puffed and browned.
- NOTE: To partly bake the pastry shell: Bake in middle of oven at 400 degrees F. for 8-9 minutes.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!