French Scrambled Eggs, Adapted from Julia Child
Posted here for safekeeping. Here is the basic recipe with suggested garnishes on the serving plate. The amount of butter and/or cream is given as in the original recipe for historical interest and for anyone wishing to try the fully loaded classic version.
- Ready In:
- 8 eggs (or 7 eggs and 2 egg yolks)
- 2 tablespoons softened butter
- 4 teaspoons water or 4 teaspoons milk
- 1 1⁄2 - 2 tablespoons whipping cream or 1 1/2-2 tablespoons softened butter
- parsley sprig
- Place eggs, salt and pepper, and liquid in a mixing bowl and beat for 20-30 seconds.
- Smear bottom and sides of pan with butter. Pour in the eggs.
- Cook over moderately low heat, stirring slowly and continuously, reaching all over bottom of pan. Nothing will seem to happen for the first 2-3 minutes. Suddenly the eggs will begin to thicken into a custard. Stir rapidly, moving pan on and off heat, until they have almost thickened to your desired consistency.
- Remove from heat immediately – the eggs will continue to cook slightly.
- As soon as they have reached the desired consistency, add the enrichment (butter or cream), which will stop the cooking. Season to taste, arrange on plates and garnish with parsley.
- Aux Fines Herbes: Beat a tablespoon of minced fresh herbs such as parsley, chervil, chives and tarragon into eggs at the beginning. Sprinkle on more herbs just before serving.
- Au Fromage: Stir 4-6 T. grated Swiss cheese into eggs along with the enrichment butter at the end.
- Aux Truffes: Stir 1 or 2 diced truffles into eggs before scrambling. Sprinkle a bit of chopped truffle over eggs before serving.
- Garnishings: ham, bacon, sausages, broiled or sauteed mushrooms, kidneys, chicken livers, sauteed eggplant or zucchini, broiled tomatoes, piperade, diced sauteed potatoes, buttered peas, asparagus tips, artichoke hearts.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
What a great recipe coconutty. It was quick and easy to make with terrific results. I made your basic version with milk, cream and butter, garnished with a little shredded Jarlsberg cheese. I served the creamy, well flavored scrambled eggs inside folded naan bread. Wow, was it terrific, thank you so much for sharing this lovely recipe.Reply