Potage Parmentier (Potato & Leek Soup) – Julia Child
photo by AmandaInOz
- Ready In:
- 1hr 5mins
- Simmer vegetables, water and salt together, partially covered, 40-50 minutes until vegetables are tender.
- Mash the vegetables in the soup with a fork, or puree in blender. Correct seasoning.
- Off heat and just before serving, stir in cream or butter by spoonfuls. Pour into a tureen or soup cups and decorate with the herbs.
- Good hot, cold or room temperature.
The following may be simmered with the potatoes and leeks at the start:
- Sliced or diced carrots or turnips.
- Peeled, seeded or chopped tomatoes or strained, canned tomatoes.
- Half-cooked dried beans, peas, or lentils, including their cooking liquid.
The following may be simmered for 10-15 minutes with the soup after it has been pureed:
- Fresh or frozen diced cauliflower, cucumbers, broccoli, Lima beans, peas, string beans, okra or zucchini.
- Shredded lettuce, spinach, sorrel, or cabbage.
- Diced, cooked leftovers of any of the preceding vegetables.
- Tomatoes, peeled, seeded, juiced and diced.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I love this soup- easy, simple, quick, tasty, and filling. After making it a couple of times, I decided that I like going a little heavy on the leeks, though I don't keep close track of how many I use, either. And I like it mashed just enough that the appearance is creamy, but there are still bits of potato and leek to add some texture. I haven't tried any other variations because I like the basic one so much.
see 4 more reviews