Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
From Tony Chachere's Cajun Country Cookbook. I haven't tried it yet but it sounds pretty delicious.
- 1 lb thin venison steak
- tony chachere's original creole seasoning
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1⁄3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄3 cup breadcrumbs, fine dried
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 cups hot water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon marjoram
- 1⁄2 lb mozzarella cheese or 1⁄2 lb swiss cheese
- 1. Cut steaks into 6 or 8 pieces, sprinkle with Tony Chachere's Original Creole Seasoning. Beat egg with 2 tsp water. Dip meat in egg, then roll in mixture of Parmesan cheese and bread crumbs.
- 2. Heat oil in large skillet and fry the pieces (about 3 at a time) until golden brown on each side. Lay in shallow, wide baking dish.
- 3. In same skillet, saute onion in butter until soft. Add tomato paste mixed with hot water, creole seasoning and marjoram. Boil a few minutes, scraping brown bits from the bottom.
- 4. Pour most of the sauce over steaks and top with thin slices of cheese. Pour remaining sauce over steaks and bake at 350 for about 30 minutes.
4 star. As far as flavor goes this is a very good recipe . You do not say how much creole seasoning to use in either step it is used in so I made to taste.
We will be using this recipe again with a few minor changes to fit our tastes.