Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
Or 4 veggie burgers.
Make and share this Veggie Rice Balls recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄4 cup lentils
- 1⁄4 cup rice
- 1⁄2 onion, chopped
- 1 tomatoes, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup chopped mushroom
- 1⁄4 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1⁄4 cup chopped and steamed cauliflower
- 1⁄2 teaspoon soy sauce
- 3 -5 drops liquid smoke
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄8 teaspoon crushed hot pepper
- 1⁄3 cup oatmeal
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic and herb seasoning (no salt)
- Cook rice and lentils until soft, about 1/2 an hour.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet sprayed with non stick cooking spray (or oil), cook onions until tender.
- Add the rest of the veggies and cook until very soft, about 20-25 minutes, adding water if needed.
- In a large bowl, combine hot rice and lentils with veggies, mash well.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well.
- Form into 10 rice balls, or 4 patties to make veggie burgers, and refrigerate for 1/2 an hour.
- Fry in oil, turning frequently.
- Serve warm.
- I make veggie burgers and serve with a green salad.
I usually eat a vegan diet during the week, and am always happy to see a new vegan recipe come up. I made these into veggie burgers, and they were very good, except that I feel that the liquid smoke actually detracted from the recipe. I used only 3 drops and the smoky flavor was just not complimentary to the rest of the recipe. I feel that without the liquid smoke this would be an excellent recipe. I also feel that the balls would hold together much better if the cauliflower were first steamed and them mashed into the recipe. The mushrooms and the green peppers should be minced finely, otherwise the balls will fall apart, since there is no egg to hold them together, only oatmeal. I will definitely make these again, only this time I will leave out the liquid smoke.