These are truly the best! ENJOY!
Make and share this Ultimate Pepper Poppers recipe from Food.com.
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese (4oz.)
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese (4oz.)
- 6 slices bacon, cooked, crumbled
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 lb fresh jalapeno, halved lengthwise and seeded
- 1⁄2 cup dry breadcrumbs
- sour cream (or any combo of the above!) or salsa (or any combo of the above!) or prepared onion dip (or any combo of the above!) or ranch salad dressing (or any combo of the above!)
- In mixing bowl, combine first 7 ingredients, mix well.
- Spoon about 2 Tbl. filling into each pepper half.
- Roll in breadcrumbs, and place into greased 15"x10"x1" baking pan.
- Bake, uncovered, in 350º oven for 20 minutes for spicy, 30 minutes for medium, and 40 minutes for mild.
- Serve with sour cream, salsa, dip or dressing.
- Makes about 2 dozen.
Been making these for YEARS now! Got it from an old TOH issue crediting Lisa Byington of Port Crane, New York. My "ultimate" tweak: instead of bread crumbs, I use finely crushed tortilla chips from all the busted up, broken chips at the bottom of the bag... (especially flavored tortilla chips like chili lime or Doritos) and press them into the cheese. I don't fiddle with trying to coat the whole pepper like some of the reviewers have. Perfect every time and never fails to be a huge hit!
These are the best!
Yummy! Making these to take to a tailgate party tomorrow but had to make a few to sample today. Very good, I'll be holding on to this one! Thanks!