Recipe by Lennie
This is a fabulous recipe, especially when made with my Rescued Turkey Stock (#24576). It also freezes very well.
- 14.79 ml canola oil
- 1 onion, peeled and diced
- 2 carrots, scraped and sliced
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 946.36 ml sliced button mushrooms
- 4.92 ml dried thyme
- 1419.54-1892.72 ml turkey broth (preferably Rescued Turkey Stock #24576)
- 29.58 ml tomato paste
- 59.14 ml barley
- 9.85 ml red wine vinegar
- 4.92 ml salt
- 4.92 ml freshly ground black pepper
- 473.18 ml chopped cooked turkey meat (make sure all bones are removed)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large skillet, heat oil and saute onions, carrots, celery and mushrooms; sprinkle thyme on veggies and continue to saute until softened, about 6 to 8 minutes.
- Pour turkey stock into a large pot (if you have less than 8 cups of stock, add water to make up difference) and whisk in the tomato paste; stir in sauteed veggies; turn heat to high.
- Stir in barley, vinegar, salt and pepper.
- When soup comes to a boil, turn heat down to a simmer and cook, covered, for about 1 hour, or until barley is tender.
- Stir in turkey meat and continue to simmer just until soup is heated through.