Prep 24 hrs
Cook 30 mins
This cake can be prepared one day ahead. From Bon Appetit.
- 2 1⁄3 cups sifted all-purpose flour (sifted, then measured)
- 1 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 1 cup dry-roasted macadamia nuts
- 3⁄4 cup chopped crystallized ginger
- 3 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 4 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups finely grated peeled carrots
- 2 (8 ounce) cans crushed pineapple in juice, well drained
- 3 (8 ounce) packagesphiladelphia-brand cream cheese, room temperature
- 3⁄4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 3⁄4 cup cream of coconut (Coco Lopez)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon coconut extract (scant)
- 14 whole dry-roasted macadamia nuts
- 1⁄4 cup chopped crystallized ginger
- For Cake: Preheat oven to 350.
- Butter three 9" diameter cake pans with 1 1/2"-high sides.
- Line bottom with parchment paper.
- Combine 1/3 cup flour and next three ingredients in processor.
- Process until nuts are finely chopped.
- Whisk remaining two cups flour, cinnamon, baking powder, salt and baking soda in medium bowl to blend.
- Using electric mixer, beat sugar and oil in large bowl to blend.
- Add eggs one at a time, beat well after each addition.
- Beat in vanilla.
- Beat in flour-spice mixture.
- Stir in coconut-macadamia nut mixture, then carrots and crushed pineapple.
- Divide batter among pans.
- Bake until tester inserted into center of cakes comes out clean, about 30 minutes.
- Cool in pans, on rack 1 hour.
- Run knife around edge of pans to loosen cakes.
- Turn cakes out onto racks; cool completely.
- For Frosting: Beat cream cheese and butter in large bowl until smooth.
- Beat in powdered sugar, then cream of coconut and both extracts.
- Chill until firm enough to spread.
- ,about 30 minutes.
- Place one cake layer, flat side up on platter.
- Spread 3/4 cup frosting over top of cake.
- Top with second cake layer, flat side up.
- Spread 3/4 cup of frostin gover.
- Top with third cake layer, rounded side up, pressing slightly to adhere.
- Spread thin layer of frosting over top and sides of cake.
- Chill cake and remaining frosting 30 minutes.
- Spread remaining frosting over top and sides of cake.
- Arrange whole nuts and ginger around top edge of cake.
- Chill 1 hour (Cake can be made one day ahead. Cover with cake dome and chill. Let stand at room temperature 1 hour before serving.).
This was a very moist and flavorful carrot cake. I couldn't find any coco lopez in my store but finaly found some other brand cream of coconut in the Asian section. This was a fun cake to make and tasty too! Thanks!
A moist and delicious cake. I made this for a dinner party when it was first published. Everyone loved it and asked for the recipe.
I saw this recipe in BonAppetite a few years ago and I made it. It was an amazing cake and everyone loved it! Must try it! Thanks for posting this. :)