Vegan Chocolate Fudge Cake
photo by Izy Hossack
- Ready In:
- 1 (14 ounce) can full-fat coconut milk
- 7 ounces bittersweet chocolate, melted
- 1⁄2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3⁄4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 1⁄3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 3⁄4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 3⁄4 cups hot coffee
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- Place the coconut milk can in the fridge overnight so the cream separates out and hardens. Remove from the fridge the next day, flip the can over and open from the bottom of the can. Pour out the liquid leaving the hardened coconut cream behind. Scoop the cream into a bowl and stir in the melted chocolate, powdered sugar and vanilla extract with a whisk until smooth. Set in the fridge until needed.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F Grease and line two 6-inch cake tins.
- In a large bowl, combine the cocoa powder, sugar, flour, salt and baking soda. Pour in the hot coffee and vegetable oil. Stir together until just combined – it’s useful to use a whisk here to help remove lumps. Divide the batter between the two cake tins and bake for 25-30 minutes until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- Let sit on a cooling rack for 10 minutes before turning out and letting cool completely.
- Once cool, use a serrated knife to level any domed tops on the cake layers. Place one cake layer on a serving plate. Whisk up the chilled frosting so it’s light and spreadable and spread a few tablespoons over the cake layer. Top with the other cake layer and ½ cup more frosting, spreading it out over the cake layer.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!