Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 12 mins
Duplicated here from another website for easy access. These stir-fried noodles are made with a flavorful stir-fry sauce composed of lime juice, soy sauce, white pepper, and chili. This dish can be made vegetarian/vegan, or get creative and add your own choice of protein source (chicken, tofu, and shrimp are all delicious options). Note that although most Thai noodle dishes are made with rice noodles, there are also various Chinese-inspired Thai noodle dishes made with wheat or egg noodles, as in this recipe.
- 8 ounces chinese-style wheat noodles or 8 ounces egg noodles
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 -3 teaspoons grated galangal or 2 -3 teaspoons ginger
- 1⁄4 cup chopped shallot
- 1 carrot, sliced (or cut into matchsticks)
- 5 -8 shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 1 small head broccoli, chopped into florets
- 1 small red pepper, sliced
- 2 cups bean sprouts
- fresh coriander (to garnish) or basil (to garnish)
- 2 -3 tablespoons vegetable oil, for stir-frying
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar or 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 1 1⁄2-2 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄4 tablespoon white pepper
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper flakes
- Boil noodles in lightly-salted water until 'al dente', veering on the side of undercooked (you will be stir-frying them later so avoid overcooking them now). Drain and rinse with cold water to prevent sticking. Set aside.
- Place all 'Stir-Fry Sauce' ingredients together in a cup, stirring well to dissolve the sugar. Set aside.
- Heat a wok or large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add oil and swirl around, then stir-fry the garlic, ginger, and shallot/onion 1 minute.
- Add the carrots plus 1-2 tablespoons of the stir-fry sauce you made earlier - enough to keep ingredients frying nicely. Stir-fry 2 minutes, until carrots soften slightly.
- Add the mushrooms, broccoli and red pepper, plus 3-4 more tablespoons of the stir-fry sauce. Continue stir-frying until mushrooms and red pepper soften and broccoli turns bright green but is still crisp (3-4 minutes).
- Now add the noodles plus remaining stir-fry sauce. Using 2 utensils, lift and turn the noodles in the pan to combine with the vegetables. Stir-fry in this way 3-5 more minutes, or until you are happy with the softness/texture of the noodles. During the last 1 minute of cooking time, fold in the bean sprouts.
- Taste-test the noodles, adding up to 1 more tablespoons fish sauce or soy sauce if not salty or flavorful enough. If too salty for your taste OR too sweet, add 1/ to 1 tablespoons more lime juice. If too sour, sprinkle over a little more sugar. More chili can be added if you prefer it spicier.
- Serve immediately in bowls or plates, topping with a sprinkling of fresh coriander or basil. More fresh bean sprouts can also be added as a topping. ENJOY!