Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This recipe is a long-time family favorite from "First" magazine. It can easily be adapted for the crock pot.
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 onions, sliced
- 2 green bell peppers, sliced
- 439.41 g can tomatoes
- 59.14 ml flour
- fresh ground pepper
- 907.18 g beef round tip steaks (3/4-inch thick)
- 44.37 ml oil
- 236.59 ml beef stock or 236.59 ml broth
- Drain tomatoes, reserving the liquid.
- Chop tomatoes.
- Combine flour, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Cut meat into serving pieces.
- Coat steaks with the seasoned flour and pound until slightly flattened.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium heat; add steaks and cook until browned on both sides, 10 to 12 minutes in all.
- Add the garlic, onions, peppers, tomatoes with their liquid, and the broth.
- Bring to a boil.
- Cover and reduce heat, simmer until steaks are tender (about 3 1/2 hours).
I really loved the flavor of this dish!!! I used the small round steaks (not the most tender cut), and bullion instead of the broth (it was a good brand though). The "sauce", I thought was the best part--make sure you have nice crusty bread to go with this to mop up the juice!! I did thicken it a bit with a slurry of flour and water (about 3tbsp to 1/8 cup water). This was really good!!! Oh, and I DID use a crockpot!!! Thanks Sharlene!!!
My boyfriend and I absolutely loved it!!!!!Tasty , easy to make,and relatively quick cause my meat cut was thin so I only cooked it for an hour.Thank you very much.
This is a great recipe although I changed a few things. I didnt flour my meat, I grilled it first then cut it across the grain in tiny strips, I also used fresh roma tomatoes chopped up instead of canned...and I added in jalapenos sliced lengthwise for spice. Thanks!