Recipe by KLHquilts
I couldn't find a recipe for a straight sweet cherry ice cream; all the recipes seemed to include other fruit (blackberries, cranberries, you name it). I adapted a recipe so that it used only frozen dark sweet cherries, and it turned out very well! After 24 hours in the freezer, you can still get a spoon into the ice cream to serve it.
- 3 cups dark sweet cherries (frozen and pitted)
- 1 teaspoon unflavored gelatin
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
Directions See How It's Made
- Puree the thawed cherries in a food processor. Feel free to leave them slightly chunky; it makes the texture of the ice cream more interesting.
- Sprinkle gelatin over water and let stand one minute.
- Stir gelatin into water over low heat until dissolved.
- Add cherry puree, half-and-half, milk, sugar and corn syrup to gelatin. Stir over low heat until sugar dissolves.
- Refrigerate at least four hours, or overnight if possible.
- Transfer to ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturer's directions.