I got this recipe from my mom, and they are just to die for. These are simple to make too, which makes them even better. For those picky family members that don't like mushrooms, try using jalapeno halves and omitting the mushroom stems from filling.
- Preheat oven (or grill) to 350.
- Heat butter in saute pan over medium high heat.
- Saute mushroom stems, bacon bits, garlic powder, and onion powder until mushroom stems brown and release their water.
- In a small bowl mix cream cheese and mushroom stem mix.
- Fill each mushroom cap with cream cheese mix. Sprinkle a small amount of shredded cheddar cheese on top.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes.
I love this recipe, I have made these this way for years!
They were quite tasty but I ended up having far more cream cheese than needed. I don't know if it's because I bought the pack of white mushrooms and they were smaller than what the author used but there was ALOT of extra cream cheese mix (and I didn't skimp on the stuffing-of-the-shrooms). I ended up using some of the mix on a bagel and "stuffed" some celery stalks with it.
On another note, they really needed to eaten straight out of the oven. This is not a recipe that you can prepare in advance. But they WERE tasty :)
I made this for a Christmas party and they were a huge hit. The best part is that they took just about no time to make.