1/1 Photo of Squash and Quinoa Soup
What could be nicer than a soulful bowl of soup filled with beautiful vegetables, healthy grains and lean protein? Finding one that is also quick and easy to prepare. Since following the WW Core program for two years, I continue to look for recipes that are share the healthy principles of the program. Found this recipe in Better Homes & Gardens and adapted it to my palette. For Core WW members, this is Core plus 2 points for the nectar in the whole dish.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 340.19 g boneless skinless chicken breast halves, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 78.07 ml shallots or 78.07 ml onion, finely chopped
- 9.85 ml olive oil or 9.85 ml canola oil
- 2 (793.78 g) can fat free chicken broth (3 1/2 cups)
- 236.59 ml water
- 177.44 ml apricot nectar (if you can't find apricot, try mango)
- 1.23 ml ground ginger
- 4.92 ml ground cumin
- 177.44 ml quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 453.59 g butternut squash, peeled, halved, seeded, and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 118.29 ml red pepper, diced into 3/8 inch pieces
- 2 small zucchini, halved lengthwise and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 0.25 ml cayenne
- 1In saucepan cook chicken and shallot in hot oil over medium heat 2 to 3 minutes or until shallots are tender, stirring occasionally.
- 2Add broth, apricot nectar, water, quinoa, ground ginger and cumin. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook for 3 minutes.
- 3Add butternut squash, recover and simmer an additional 7 minutes.
- 4Add zucchini and red pepper. Cover and cook 10 minutes more or until squash and quinoa are tender.
- 5Season to taste with salt, ground black pepper and cayenne to taste.
- 6Each serving is about 1 1/2 cups of soup.
Browse Our Top Chicken Breast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Squash and Quinoa Soup
Serving Size: 1 (419 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 229.6
- Calories from Fat 35
- Total Fat 3.9 g
- Saturated Fat 0.5 g
- Cholesterol 32.8 mg
- Sodium 593.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.6 g
- Sugars 7.4 g
- Protein 18.3 g