1 hr 40 mins
In this recipe I attempted to blend the flavors where you can't identify many of the ingredients. It has a sweet, spicy and smoky flavor all going on at once. As listed, the spiciness is not overpowering. Please feel free to adjust the amount of peppers to your own tastes. The prep time does not include the overnight refrigeration times.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/4 cup mesquite liquid smoke, plus
- 2 teaspoons mesquite liquid smoke
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 6 dried red chili peppers
- 1 (7 ounce) can chipotle chiles in adobo
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup white wine (Riesling)
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon zest
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 1/2 teaspoons adobo sauce
- 1 (9 3/4 ounce) can cashew pieces
- 1 green bell pepper (diced)
- 1 red bell pepper (diced)
- 1/2 sweet onion (diced)
- 1 carrot (cut in thirds and grate)
- 15 large tortillas (8 1/2-inch)
- romaine lettuce (optional)
- shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 stalks celery (diced)
- 1Day One.
- 2With a fork pierce chicken breasts many times on both sides.
- 3Place chicken in in shallow dish pouring a 1/4 cup of liquid smoke over breasts.
- 4Refrigerate for 24 hours turning and basting several times.
- 5Make the sauce.
- 6In a bowl, combine sugar, salt, mustard, and flour.
- 7Combine beaten egg and milk and add to dry ingredients.
- 8Mix until smooth.
- 9Heat cider vinegar in a saucepan.
- 10Gradually add hot vinegar to the bowl while mixing.
- 11Add 1 finely chopped Chipotle pepper 1 1/2 tsp adobo sauce to bowl.
- 12Add lemon zest and 1 1/2 tsp of liquid smoke.
- 13Pour contents of bowl in a saucepan and heat over low heat stirring until it thickens.
- 14After mixture has cooled, mix in the sour cream.
- 15Refrigerate overnight.
- 16The Raisins:.
- 17Place raisins in a bowl and pour wine over.
- 18Refrigerate overnight.
- 19Day Two:.
- 20Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 21Place chicken in ovenproof dish and add water to a depth 1/4".
- 22Add 1/2 tsp liquid smoke.
- 23In a small skillet heat 2 TBS of peanut oil add the chili peppers and fry for 1 minute.
- 24Add peppers and oil to chicken.
- 25Bake covered for 1 hour.
- 26Let chicken cool then shred the chicken.
- 27Place shredded chicken in large bowl adding the grated carrot, diced celery, onion, red and green peppers and mix.
- 28Add finely diced Chipotle peppers to taste (I used three) and mix.
- 29Place cashews in a ziplock bag and crush with a rolling pin.
- 30Add cashews to bowl.
- 31Drain raisins and add to bowl.
- 32Add sauce and mix.
- 33You can serve immediately, but is much better if you refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
- 34To Serve:.
- 35Place a leaf of lettuce on tortilla.
- 36Spoon chicken salad over lettuce.
- 37Sprinkle with cheddar cheese.
- 38Wrap up like you would a burrito, leaving the top open.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Southwest Chicken Salad Wraps
Serving Size: 1 (270 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 15
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 627.0
- Calories from Fat 200
- Total Fat 22.2 g
- Saturated Fat 5.6 g
- Cholesterol 44.9 mg
- Sodium 937.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 80.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.1 g
- Sugars 14.6 g
- Protein 24.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
mesquite liquid smoke
mesquite liquid smoke
chipotle chiles in adobo