Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook3 hrs 30 mins
This was just published today in the New Orleans Time Picayune. Sliced smoked sausage or cubed, cooked boneless chicken can be used instead of, or in addition to, the shrimp.
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 3 cups chopped onions
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon flour
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 bay leaf, crushed
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine or 1⁄2 cup chicken broth or 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 lbs sliced okra, fresh or 2 lbs frozen okra
- 1 lb peeled deveined shrimp, about 50-60 count
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over high heat. Add chopped onion and celery and saute, stirring often, about 10 minutes, until onions have browned. Combine salt, peppers, thyme and flour. Sprinkle mixture onto the browned onions; add the garlic and bay leaf, stir and cook for 1 minute. Stir in the diced tomatoes and white wine, and remove the pan from the heat.
- Place okra in the slow cooker. Pour contents of the skillet over the okra. Stir to mix, cover and cook on LOW for 2 to 2 1/2 hours, until okra is tender but still holds its shape. Stir in the peeled shrimp and cook on LOW an additional 1 hour.
- Serve over steamed rice.