Now that the colder weather is here, it's a perfect time for a hearty, stick-to-your-ribs, one pot meal like this delicious stew. Sometimes I have used lean ground beef in place of the stew meat in a pinch. Serve with a crusty bread or warm rolls for a complete dinner.
- 29.58 ml olive oil
- 907.18 g lean stewing beef, cubed
- 78.07 ml flour or 59.14 ml cornstarch
- 4.92 ml salt
- 2.46 ml garlic powder or 2.46 ml fresh minced garlic
- 2.46 ml marjoram leaves
- 1.23 ml black pepper
- 453.59 g can tomatoes, undrained and cut up
- 297.66 g can condensed beef broth
- 473.18 ml cubed potatoes
- 236.59 ml sliced celery
- 4 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 bay leaf
- Heat oven to 325 degrees.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in Dutch oven.
- Brown beef.
- Add flour, salt, garlic powder, marjoram and pepper.
- Stir in undrained tomatoes and beef broth, mix well.
- Bring mixture to a boil, stirring frequently.
- Add remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Cover, place in oven and bake at 325 degrees for 2 hours or until meat is tender.
- Stir twice during baking.
- Remove bay leaf before serving.
Super tasty! Just the right balance between meat, veggies, and gravy. And so tender in the oven. Next time, I may throw in some mushrooms at the beginning or peas at the end or both.
Delicious, warming comfort food here! I needed to make a double batch, so I did one in the oven and one on the stovetop. Both were tasty, but the texture of the oven version was so much better! The meat was meltingly tender, the veggies were perfect, and the "gravy" was just right. I threw in some green beans because I wanted to use them up and I imagine you could use any veggie you like. I also subbed oregano for the marjoram. Thanks for posting, this is definitely a keeper!
This was very good. I couldn't find my marjoram so I didn't add. I also omitted the tomatoes.
This was so easy to make. The meat was tender, the gravy delicious and the veggies were perfected. I also threw in some mushrooms I needed to use up. Thanks so much for posting. Made for Chef Alphabet Soup.