1/3 Photos of Roast Turkey and Bread Stuffing.
This is my basic roast turkey and stuffing. It's an old fashion recipe but we think it's still the best.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onions
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon sage
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup turkey broth
- 10 cups bread cubes
- turkey giblets, and neck
- 1 stalk celery (cut up)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 10 cups water
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon powder
- 15 lbs turkey
- 1Bread Stuffing:.
- 2In large saucepan,over medium heat melt butter; cook celery and onions until soft, about 10 minutes.
- 3Add salt, poultry seasoning sage, thyme, marjoram and pepper; stir well until thoroughly mixed.
- 4Stir in bread cubes and broth; mix together well.
- 5Turkey Broth:.
- 6In saucepan over high heat, heat to boiling giblets, necks, celery, onion, 1 teaspoon salt and water and chicken bouillon powder. Reduce heat to low; cover; simmer 1 hour until giblets are tender.
- 7Drain, reserving broth.
- 9Preheat oven 325°F.
- 10Rinse bird with running cold water; drain well.
- 11Spoon some stuffing lightly into neck cavity (do not pack).
- 12Fold neck skin over and fasten with skewers. With bird breast side up, lift wings up toward neck, then fold under back of bird, so they stay flat and keep neck skin in place.
- 13Spoon remaining stuffing lightly into body cavity; don't pack; place the remainder in a casserole and microwave for 15 minutes.
- 14Fold skin lightly over opening; skewer closed.
- 15Tie legs and wings with string, or push drumsticks under band of skin or use stuffing clamp.
- 16On rack in open roasting pan, place bird breast side up.
- 17Brush skin lightly with salad oil.
- 18Cover loosely with foil.
- 19Roast at 325°F for 4 1/2 to 5 hours.
- 20Check doneness during last 30 minutes. Toward end of roasting, remove foil.
- 21When turkey is done, remove rack from pan.
- 22Use a spoon to remove stuffing from turkey; place in a serving bowl. Mix together with stuffing you cooked earlier in the microwave.
- 23Cover turkey and let stand 15 to 20 minutes before carving.
- 25Bring turkey dripping to a boil.
- 26Whisk in flour.
- 27Gradually whisk in reserved broth to roasting pan; stir until brown bits are loosened. Add salt and pepper.
- 28Add water if necessary.
- 29You might find it easier to make your gravy in another saucepan.
- 30Carve turkey and serve with stuffing and gravy.
- 32I often make my stuffing a day or 2 ahead and refrigerate it until I am ready for it. At that time I use chicken broth instead of turkey broth to make it.
- 33For Thanksgiving I use my fresh herbs to the stuffing and triple the amount.
Browse Our Top Whole Turkey Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Whole Turkey Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Roast Turkey and Bread Stuffing.
Serving Size: 1 (724 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 14
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 906.9
- Calories from Fat 399
- Total Fat 44.3 g
- Saturated Fat 13.9 g
- Cholesterol 342.4 mg
- Sodium 980.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 2.3 g
- Protein 102.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: