Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
An easy, satisfying dinner. Leftover ham can be used if Canadian Bacon is not available.
- 8 ounces boneless skinless chicken breast halves, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 cup white rice, uncooked
- 1⁄2 lb asparagus, cut into 1-1/2-inch pieces
- 4 ounces Canadian bacon, cut up
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried basil leaves or 1 teaspoon fresh basil
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Spray 12" nonstick skillet with cooking spray; heat over medium-high heat.
- Cook chicken in skillet 3 to 5 minutes, stirring frequently,until light brown.
- Stir in broth; heat to boiling.
- Stir in rice; reduce heat.
- Cover and simmer without stirring 10 minutes.
- Stir in asparagus,Canadian Bacon and basil.
- Cover and simmer without stirring 8-10 minutes or until rice is tender and chicken is no longer pink in the center.
- Remove from the heat.
- Stir in cheese. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve.
Husband loved this recipe. He and my son finished off this one. Made for Tastebud Tickling Travellers for ZWT4.
We really enjoyed this... but giving only 4 stars as I did improvise a bit by combining this with another recipe. I pre-roasted the asparagus for 5 mins @ 450F with olive oil, balsamic vinegar and garlic powder, added some red bell pepper, brown rice instead of white and added about a Tbsp of lemon juice at the end. Thanks for the inspiration!