Quick Mushroom Risotto (Pillsbury Bake-Off Winner)
Credit for this simple recipe goes to Tina Repak of Pennsylvania who entered it in the 1998 Pillsbury Bake-Off. The use of instant rice shortens your time in the kitchen to complete this creamy side dish.
- Ready In:
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1 (4 1/2 ounce) jar Green Giant sliced mushrooms, drained
- 2 cups uncooked instant rice
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans ready-to-serve chicken broth
- 1⁄3 cup whipping cream or 1/3 cup half-and-half
- 1⁄3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon grated parmesan cheese, if desired
- Melt butter in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and mushrooms; cook and stir 3 minutes.
- Add rice, garlic powder and pepper; cook 2 minutes.
- Stir in 1 can of the broth; cook 4 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Gradually stir in remaining can of broth; cook 7 minutes or until liquid is almost absorbed, stirring frequently.
- Stir in whipping cream.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in 1/3 cup cheese.
- Spoon into serving dish; sprinkle with 1 tablespoon cheese.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
First I need to say that I used regular Basmati rice and it took 25 mins start to finish. I used fat free coffee creamer to replace the heavy cream to cut back on the fat. The rice still had a rich flavor it not the liquid creaminess of arborio risotto. The garlic powder really filled out the flavor. I made this to go along with pork chops in mushroom sauce and they made a perfect pair. Made for Photo Tag.Reply
This was quick and surprisingly good - using instant rice ! Have always used arborio, and simmered a long time. Made 1/2 recipe for 2 of us, and have some left for lunch. The small amount of cream and parmesan gave a smooth and pleasant taste. Thanks, DuChick, for an any-night tasty side for "Recipe#270954" !Reply
see 1 more