Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is like pumpkin bread with frosting...YUM! My little ones call it "punkin" cake and they love it. It is pretty easy to make and I don't know many people who don't absolutely love it!
- 1 (16 ounce) can pumpkin
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup finely chopped walnuts (optional)
- 1 (3 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 3⁄4-2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 teaspoons milk
- chopped walnuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Beat pumpkin, sugar, oil and vanilla in a large mixing bowl.
- Add eggs and mix well.
- Combine dry ingredients, except nuts (if using) and gradually add to pumpkin mixture, beating until well blended.
- Fold in nuts.
- Pour into a greased 9 x 13 inch baking pan/dish.
- Bake for 35- 40 minutes or until center tests done.
- Cool completely before frosting.
- (I keep mine in the pan-- I use a glass Pyrex baking pan).
- For the frosting: Beat cream cheese, butter and vanilla until smooth.
- Gradually add sugar and mix until well combined and smooth.
- Add milk and beat until frosting is the spreading consistency you desire.
- Frost cake and sprinkle with chopped nuts if you like.
I liked this recipe, my family didn't care for the cream cheese icing. The next time I make it I will top it with a whpped topping. I give it 5 stars, my family only 3 so we compromised. Thank you for sharing.
These are so good. What I did was make muffins out of them. I got 26 of them. I baked them at 350 for 20 minutes. They were so moist.
For the more experienced bakers. The recipe call for one 3 Oz package of cream cheese, but I ended up having to use 8 Oz plus an extra teaspoon of butter because it was so soupy. I also probably used an additional cup of sugar in the frosting and another tsp of vanilla. As for the cake, baked for 45 mind and the cake was still a little loose in the middle. It's cooling now, so we have yet to see how it turns out, but I will update. The taste is incredible however