Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is just a good old fashion spud salad. The celery and red bell pepper add a little crunch and color. If you like a mustard style simply double the amounts. Tastes even better if it's had a chance to mingle flavours. Tip: you can wash your eggs well and boil them in with the potatoes, then plunge them into ice water while potatoes are draining. The ice water will make them easier to peel.
- 6 medium russet potatoes, peeled 1/2 to 3/4 inch dice
- water, to cover
- 3 hard-boiled eggs, peeled,yolks and whites separated.
- 1⁄2 medium onion, small dice
- 1 medium red bell pepper, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 whole claussen dill pickle, stem removed,minced,i use my mini chopper/processor
- 3 tablespoons pickle juice
- 1 tablespoon sweet pickle relish
- 1 tablespoon prepared yellow mustard
- 1 tablespoon prepared Dijon mustard
- black pepper, to taste.
- In a medium sauce pan boil potatoes over MedHi/High heat 10-15 minutes or until just fork tender.
- Drain and rinse with cool water to stop cooking process.
- Pour into large bowl and set aside to finish cooling.
- In a medium bowl mash boiled egg yolks and pickle juice together with a fork.
- The juice helps to dissolve the egg yolk.
- Mix in Mayo, dill pickle, sweet relish, onion, celery, red bell pepper and both mustards.
- Add Egg Whites (I like to dice into 1/2 pieces) to cooled potatoes.
- Add Dressing mixture gently stirring to cover all potatoes.
- Top with black pepper to taste.
- Refrigerate, 30 minutes, the longer it has to mingle the better it gets.
- It's even better the next day.
- time does not include refrigeration.
Delicious! I find that cooking the potatoes this way is easier than cooking them whole, in their skins and then peeling them hot. I was afraid there would be too much mustard for me, but this is not the case. Thank you for a new to me way to make lovely potato salad. (Picky daughter also enjoyed it very much.)
Best tasting potato salad ever! I used a green pepper instead of the red. It was delish!
The pickle juice made this different from other potato salads. Very good! Easy to make and very tasty. Thanks for posting.