photo by DianaEatingRichly
- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
- 4 lbs red potatoes
- 5 hard-boiled eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celery seed
- Cook potatoes in boiling water to cover 40 minutes or until tender; drain and cool.
- Peel potatoes and cut into 1 inch pieces.
- Chop egg whites.
- In a large bowl, stir together potato, egg whites, 1/2 t. salt and green onions.
- Using a fork, mash the yolks in a small bowl; add in remaining 1/2 t. salt, mayo, pickle relish, mustard, pepper, and celery seed; stirring until well blended.
- Gently stir yolk mixture into potato mixture; adjust seasoning to taste with salt and pepper.
- Cover and chill 2 hours (it is even better if you can chill this overnight and serve the next day).
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This is an excellent potato salad recipe. I used celery salt instead of the salt and celery seeds because I did not have the seeds, but it turned out fine. It is a very mild taste. Next time I will add a little more mustard, perhaps something spicy. I will absolutely use this recipe again. Thank you!
This was a very good recipe. It makes a metric ton, so be sure to have a really large bowl on hand for mixing it all up. While this is a great traditional standby, I may add a little more mustard, or perhaps some cider vinegar to the next batch in order to make it a little more tangy. Also, I followed the recipe exactly, but next time I'd quarter or dice the potatoes prior to boiling, in order to shorten the boiling time and make it easier to dress. (Slicing up soft potatoes makes them even mushier.) Thank you for the recipe!
I thought I would add my accolades, this is a perfect potato salad recipe. I changed nothing, other then cooking the potatoes already cut/sliced. I can see why you have so many reviews. Added some nice fresh scallion to the top of decoration, and added celery along with the the dried celery seeds as well. Let sit overnite and this salad can't be beat. Thanks for posting oh so long ago.
see 296 more reviews
I love this recipe... however, if you don't already know this, the key to a really exceptional potato salad is to dice up whole pickles or pickle spears in place of the relish. You'll never go back once you do this. It makes an unbelievable difference! Anyway, other than that the only changes I make to this recipe are to use dried onion flakes instead of the green onions (my stomach doesn't tolerate raw onions for some reason) and double the mustard. I also try to peel and dice the potatoes beforehand when I remember.
This was a very good potato salad freshly made and tasted even better after sitting for two days. It was very easy to make and has an excellent creamy flavor. I did make it with Idaho potatoes instead of red bliss potatoes, but it was still delicious. I would suggest adding 4 or 5 strips of bacon as I think that would enhance the already great taste and I and my family also thought that it needed salt.
see 18 more tweaks