Aunt Fanny's Baked Yellow Squash
- Ready In:
- 3 lbs yellow squash
- 1⁄2 cup onion, roughly chopped
- 1⁄2 cup cracker meal or 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Wash and cut up squash and roughly chop the onion. Boil until tender, approximately 10 minutes. Drain VERY thoroughly, then mash.
- Add all ingredients except half of butter and crumbs, to squash. Melt remaining butter.
- Pour mixture in baking dish, then spread melted butter over top and sprinkle with cracker meal or bread crumbs.
- Bake in 375°F oven for approximately 30 to 45minutes, or until brown on top.
- You might add a few sprinkles of nutmeg to the mixture before pouring into the casserole.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
YUMMY!!! I threw in one zucchini because I didn't have enough yellow squash and we all thought it added some nice color. I used a level teaspoon of black pepper which my husband & I really liked, but was a bit much for our kids. I also used Panko breadcrumbs which I sprinkled on top without any butter. Thanks for sharing!