Recipe by Dee514
This is an old fashioned corn muffin recipe, which is very yummy as a side dish, for BBQ's and picnics, etc.
Top Review by Derf
Quite different muffin size corn bread, very good taste!! The onions really come through and the red pepper makes a nice presentation. Very buttery, but not sure if I used the correct amout of butter? The ingredients say 1/2 stick butter and the steps says 1/2 cup butter. So I used the 1/2 cup and it did seem to be ok. Does a 1/2 stick = 1/2 cup?? They were very buttery!! thanks for sharing.
- 1 red pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup unbleached flour
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 400°F.
- Grease bottoms only of 18 muffin cups (2 1/2inches x 1 1/2 inches in size).
- Cook onions and peppers in butter for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally, until softened.
- In a large bowl, using a fork, beat milk, 4 Tablespoons melted butter and eggs until well combined.
- Stir in cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt until flour is moistened.
- (Batter will be slightly lumpy).
- Fold in the peppere and onions.
- Divide batter evenly among the muffin cups (batter will be almost level with rims of muffin cups).
- Bake muffins for about 20 minutes or until light golden brown.