Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
One of our favorite stews! Great on chilly nights! My notes are in parentheses. This makes a thick stew.
- 2 lbs stewing beef
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 -2 bay leaf (I use 2)
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 dash ground allspice or 1 dash clove
- 3 large carrots, sliced (I use baby carrots)
- 4 red potatoes, quartered
- 3 celery ribs, chopped (I omit this)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Brown meat in hot oil. Add water, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, bay leaves, onion, salt, sugar, pepper, paprika, and allspice. Cover and simmer 1-1/2 hours.
- Remove bay leaves. Add carrots, potatoes, and celery. Cover and cook 20-30 minutes longer or until vegetables are cooked.
- To thicken gravy, remove 2 cups hot liquid. Using seperate bowl, combine 1/4 cup water and cornstarch until smooth. Mix with hot liquid and return mixture to pot. Stir and cook until bubbly and thickened. Enjoy!
Very good stew! The allspice and paprika is wonderful in this! I did add my vegetables after 1 hour of meat simmering and then simmered for an additional 45 minutes. There was only about 1 1/4 cups of hot liquid so use only half of the cornstarch/water mixture. Thank you Sweets Lady for sharing. Made for PRMR.
I liked the flavour of this dish, but there was far too little liquid - is there an error in this recipe?
I ADORE this recipe! It does end up with too little liquid at the end, so either enjoy it thick or add more water. I make this without the celery because my husband doesn't like celery, and I use 2 bay leaves, and 1 dash (make sure you don't use any more than one shake of the shaker) of allspice (haven't tried it with cloves). I ALSO make this with russet potatoes because I don't like red potatoes in a stew, they make everything taste sour. LOVE it.