Red Wine Beef Stew
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
In ‘Paula Deen’s Southern Cooking Bible’
- Ready In:
- 3hrs 30mins
- 3 lbs beef stew meat, cut into 2-inch chunks
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons salt
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons pepper
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons butter
- olive oil
- 1⁄2 lb cremini mushroom, quartered
- 2 large carrots, cut into 1/4-inch rounds
- 1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 (750 ml) cabernet sauvignon wine (or other full-bodied red wine)
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- Season the meat all over with 2 teaspoons each of the salt and pepper.
- Dip the meat in the flour, then shake off any excess.
- In a large Dutch oven, melt 2 T of the butter in 2 T oil over medium-high ehat until very hot.
- Working in batches, brown the beef until golden all over, about 10 minutes.
- Transfer the meat to a paper towel-lined platter to drain.
- Add more oil, a tablespoon at a time, as needed, if the pat starts to dry up.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon butter and 1 tablespoon oil to the pan.
- Stir in the mushrooms, carrots, onion, and garlic.
- Cook until the vegetables have softened, about 7 minutes.
- Stir in the remaining ¼ teaspoon each salt and black pepper.
- Stir in the tomato paste and cook for 1 minute.
- Transfer the vegetables to the platter with the meat.
- Pour the wine into the pan; simmer, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan, until the wine has reduced by half, 15-20 minutes.
- Return the meat and vegetables to the pan.
- Tie the thyme and rosemary together with kitchen string and drop the bundle into the pan.
- Bring the mixture to a boil.
- Immediately reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook until the meat is very tender, 2 to 2 ½ hours.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION