Randy's Old Time Beef Stew
photo by Ackman
- Ready In:
- 3hrs 30mins
- 2 lbs stewing beef (use a well marbled chuck roast & cut into 1-1/2 in. pieces)
- seasoned flour (for dredging)
- 2 -3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 1 -2 bay leaf
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 dash ground allspice or 1 dash ground cloves
- 3 large carrots, pared & sliced
- 1 small rutabaga, pared & cubed (optional)
- 3 potatoes, pared & quartered
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can stewed tomatoes, undrained (optional)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Preheat oven to 325°.
- Dredge meat in seasoned flour & brown in hot oil.
- Add water, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, bay leaves, onion, salt, sugar, pepper, paprika, and allspice.
- Cover and bake 1 1/2 hours .
- Remove bay leaves and garlic clove.
- Add carrots and celery. & (optional rutabaga &/or stewed tomatoes).
- Cover and cook 45 minutes longer or until vegetables are tender.
- To thicken gravy, combine 1/4 cup cold water and the cornstarch until smooth.
- Slowly mix into the stew until desired thicknes.
- Stir and cook over medium high heat until thick & bubbly.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p><strong>The only thing I like better than cooking, is eating! I learned a lot about cooking from my Dad & an ornery old Norwegian cook, that I used to work for. <br />I don't get into fancy foods...just good ol' down-home, stick-to-your-ribs vittles...I'm a COOK...NOT a Chef! I <span>LUV</span> to bbq & grill!!<img title=Cool src=/tiny_mce/plugins/emotions/img/smiley-cool.gif border=0 alt=Cool /> Except for pies, I don't do much baking, such as cookies, bars or cakes...that's the wife's dept. & believe me, she does a mighty FINE job!!! <br />I'm a firm believer that flavored coffee & flavored beer should be OUTLAWED & I will NOT eat Lima Beans or Lutefisk...YUK!!! <img title=Yell src=/tiny_mce/plugins/emotions/img/smiley-yell.gif border=0 alt=Yell /><br />Our favorite place to eat is Old Abe's...a local supper club located on a wooded back-road! We also enjoy Panera Bread, Dickey's BBQ & Picanha Brazillian Steak House!!!<br />I've been married since 1977 to the most wonderful lady a man could ever ask for. We have 9 beautiful Grandkids...5 girls 4 boys, a VERY SPOILED white German Shephard (Tori) & a VERY goofy cat (Angel)! (Both of these are rescued animals.) <br />We collect antique gasoline engines & attend several shows here in the Midwest.I also enjoy ice fishing, Milwaukee Brewers baseball, WI Badger football, but most of all, we're HUGE GREEN BAY PACKERS Fans!!!!! GO PACK GO!!!!!</strong></p> 8724987"