Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
I love this dish. I make it often for Company because they love it. Not the cheapest meal to make but oh so delicious every now and then. I just love the flavors. I have tried many recipes over the years and have just combined some to come up with what I like and this is the result. NOTE: I have since made this with pork shanks as well which is a lot cheaper and it is absolutely delicious too.
- 8 veal shanks (1 1/2 inch thick,center bone)
- 1 cup flour (seasoned with ground black pepper and seasoning salt)
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion (Chopped)
- 5 fresh garlic cloves (Minced)
- 1 cup carrot (Diced)
- 1⁄2 cup celery (Diced)
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 28 ounces whole tomatoes (roughly chopped)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 15 ounces brown sauce (Gravy)
- 1⁄2 cup beef broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3 drops Tabasco sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- Heat oil and butter in ovenproof casserole. Dredge veal in well seasoned flour and brown in heated oil & butter on both sides. Do this in two batches. You may have to add a bit more oil. About 4 minutes on each side. Remove veal and put aside.
- Add onion,garlic,carrots and celery to casserole. Cook over medium heat for about 4 minutes.
- Pour in wine and cook another 4 minutes over medium high heat.
- Add in tomatoes, tomato paste, brown sauce,beef broth,Worcestershire,Tabasco and sugar. Sprinkle in herbs. Bring to a boil.
- Gently put back in veal shanks. Cover and put in preheated oven at 350°F Cook 2 hours in oven. Veal should be fork tender.
- Remove veal from casserole. Cook sauce over high heat for about 4 minutes, adjust seasonings. Pour sauce over veal and enjoy.
- I serve this over wide egg noodles and some veggies or a delicious salad on the side.