Recipe by Sureglad
These look great on an appetizer tray or as a side dish to roast chicken. They are savory and delicious. A must if you love mushrooms and cheese. They freeze well and are great reheated.
Top Review by cylee
If these freeze as well as you say, you have become my HERO! : ) These are so delicious....I'm attempting to not gain weight as I prepare for holiday party, but I can't stop eating these. Only thing I did different was to use slightly more parsley (to use up what I had!)..and I added a couple of shreds of swiss on top near end of baking time. Thanks SO much for this recipe, can't wait to serve at my annual holiday bash!!!
- 1⁄2 cup butter, plus
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 cup sweet onion, finely chopped
- 1 lb portabella mushroom cap, finely chopped
- 3⁄4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄4 cup shredded swiss cheese
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped flat leaf parsley
- 2 egg yolks, beaten
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 teaspoons italian seasoning
- 8 slices whole wheat bread
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, melt 3 tablespoons butter and sauté onion and mushrooms 6 to 7 minutes or until softened. Remove from heat.
- Stir in cheeses, parsley, egg yolks, salt and Italian seasoning.
- Melt 1/2 cup butter in a small saucepan. With a rolling pin, flatten each slice of bread and cut into 4 squares.
- Dip each square into melted butter and place in a mini-muffin cup. Top each with a scoop of mushroom mixture.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Cool slightly and serve warm.