Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
These look great on an appetizer tray or as a side dish to roast chicken. They are savory and delicious. A must if you love mushrooms and cheese. They freeze well and are great reheated.
- 1⁄2 cup butter, plus
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 cup sweet onion, finely chopped
- 1 lb portabella mushroom cap, finely chopped
- 3⁄4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄4 cup shredded swiss cheese
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped flat leaf parsley
- 2 egg yolks, beaten
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 teaspoons italian seasoning
- 8 slices whole wheat bread
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, melt 3 tablespoons butter and sauté onion and mushrooms 6 to 7 minutes or until softened. Remove from heat.
- Stir in cheeses, parsley, egg yolks, salt and Italian seasoning.
- Melt 1/2 cup butter in a small saucepan. With a rolling pin, flatten each slice of bread and cut into 4 squares.
- Dip each square into melted butter and place in a mini-muffin cup. Top each with a scoop of mushroom mixture.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Cool slightly and serve warm.
If these freeze as well as you say, you have become my HERO! : ) These are so delicious....I'm attempting to not gain weight as I prepare for holiday party, but I can't stop eating these. Only thing I did different was to use slightly more parsley (to use up what I had!)..and I added a couple of shreds of swiss on top near end of baking time. Thanks SO much for this recipe, can't wait to serve at my annual holiday bash!!!