Prep 25 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is from the Food column by Anjali Vellody, Weekend.
- 1 kg chicken, washed,cleaned and cut into medium size pcs
- 1 cup water
- 2 small onions, sliced
- 2 green cardamoms
- 2 cloves
- 1⁄2 inch cinnamon stick
- 2 -3 tablespoons oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
To be ground to a paste
- 4 green chilies
- 2 cups fresh coriander leaves, washed and chopped
- 1 inch ginger
- 2 cloves garlic
- Grind the ingredients for the paste and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a non-stick wok.
- Once its hot, toss in the cinnamon, cardamom and cloves.
- Saute for 30 seconds.
- Add the onion and stir-fry until it turns golden brown.
- Add the chicken and fry for 5 minutes.
- Then, add the ground paste.
- Fry till the masala leaves the sides of the wok and the oil floats on top.
- Add salt and water.
- Cook the chicken until it is tender and the gravy thickens.
- Add the pepper and garam masala powders.
- Mix well and serve hot with naan or rotis or kulchas.
Excellent recipe. Even my husband went for seconds. This was my first time using cardamom pods and the flavor is wonderful. I used boneless skinless chicken thighs, and would cut them a little smaller next time to the meat gets flavored all the way through. We had this with homemade naan.
Great curry thanks Charishma. I used chicken thigh fillets, instead of cutting up a whole chicken, and I think I should have bought 2 bunches of coriander to make up the 2 cups of leaves rather than the 1 I bought, I also increased the salt to 1 teaspoon instead of a half. I went out for drinks with friends today, and although I got home not feeling like cooking, this was so simple to put together and tasted fantastic!