Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
A Jewish version of biscotti. From Mom's notebooks.
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 cup slivered almonds, chopped
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Combine eggs, sugar, oil, lemon juice, lemon zest and almond extract in a bowl.
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt in a second bowl. Toss almonds in flour to coat. Add wet ingredients and mix to form a stiff dough.
- Grease and flour a rimmed cookie sheet. Form into an oblong loaf about 4" across and 1.5" thick.
- Bake in preheated oven 15 minutes. Allow to cool 10 minutes.
- Slice 1" thick. Lay slices on a clean cookie sheet and return to oven until lightly browned, turning occasionally, about 5 min on each side (but watch carefully!).