Low Fat Red Beans and Rice
- Best when prepared the day before, as these directions instruct.
- Soak beans overnight in water to cover. Drain. Cook beans with ham soup base slowly for 3 hours. Near end of bean cooking time, saute yellow onions in olive oil until tender.
- Add remaining ingredients except seasoned salt & rice; cook slowly for 1.5 hours.
- Cool. Re-heat the next day and simmer for up to 1 hour [may need to add a little extra water if beans are too thick.] Add seasoned salt to taste.
- For thicker beans, remove a few beans from the pot, mash beans and return to pot.
- Serve over cooked rice.