Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Rich, flavorful and low fat version of the traditional favorite.
Make and share this Low Fat Red Beans and Rice recipe from Food.com.
- 1 lb dried red beans
- 2 quarts water
- 3 tablespoons ham soup base
- 3 cups chopped yellow onions
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 bunch green onion, chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 cup parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 dash red pepper
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 dash Tabasco sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme leaves
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 4 ounces tomato sauce
- seasoning salt
- cooked rice
- Best when prepared the day before, as these directions instruct.
- Soak beans overnight in water to cover. Drain. Cook beans with ham soup base slowly for 3 hours. Near end of bean cooking time, saute yellow onions in olive oil until tender.
- Add remaining ingredients except seasoned salt & rice; cook slowly for 1.5 hours.
- Cool. Re-heat the next day and simmer for up to 1 hour [may need to add a little extra water if beans are too thick.] Add seasoned salt to taste.
- For thicker beans, remove a few beans from the pot, mash beans and return to pot.
- Serve over cooked rice.