Recipe by MarraMamba
A South Carolina low country recipe, It is said that Susan is the wife of Hoppin' John.
Top Review by Karen Elizabeth
I enjoyed this, colourful and appealing. I know that I CAN get okra here, I've seen it, but when I wanted to make this recipe I hunted high and low with no success, so I had to use zucchini -- I'm sorry about that, I'm sure it changes the dish a bit, but, we found it very good! So thank you, MarraMamba! Made for International Agents of QUEST, USA Southern Region
- 1⁄4 cup green pepper, diced
- 1⁄4 cup onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb okra, tipped and topped, cut into 1/4 slices
- 1 lb shrimp, peeled
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup long grain white rice
- 2 cups chicken stock
- ground pepper
- cayenne pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute onion and pepper about 5 minutes in vegetable oil, until soft. Add garlic, for 2 minutes.
- Add rice, stir until coated and cook 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the rest of the ingredients except shrimp, bring to a boil, then simmer at low, covered, for about 20 minutes. Liquid should be absorbed.
- taste for seasoning, add shrimp and cook a further 5 minutes until pink.