As soon as I saw this in the Honolulu Advertiser I knew I had to make it. So yummy! Perfect too, because I love lemon and mochi. Together, it's so delicious!
- 16 ounces mochiko sweet rice flour (sweet rice flour, 3 1/2 cups)
- 2 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 (3 ounce) box instant lemon pudding
- 3 cups milk (or dairy milk and coconut milk)
- 1 (1/2 cup) package butter, melted
- 5 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons lemon extract
- 1 cup angel-flake sweetened flaked coconut
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 9-by-13-inch baking dish, or coat with nonstick spray.
- In a large bowl, stir together sweet rice flour, sugar, baking powder and pudding.
- With a balloon whisk, gradually whisk in milk to beat out lumps.
- One at a time, stir in melted butter, beaten eggs, lemon extract and coconut.
- Pour into baking dish.
- Bake 1 hour or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
This is super delish! And soo easy to make. I halved the recipe and used both regular milk and coconut milk. Did not add lemon extract or flaked coconut, but added 1 lemon zest along with some fresh lemon juice. Texture is somewhat similar to daifuku - I love it! Thank you Pikake for posting this Hawaiian treat! Baking time for me was about 45-50 minutes only.
I've had my eye on this recipe for quite some time now. I love butter mochi, so I was a little skeptical about using pudding. I took chef#303545's suggestion and used a combination of coconut milk and dairy milk and I omitted the coconut, only because I don't care for the texture. I baked for 30 minutes, then rotated the pan and baked another 30 minutes. I can never wait for the mochi to cool completely, so I had to sneak a tiny piece. I believe the taste is definitely better the next day. I wonder though, due to the milk and eggs, if this should be kept in the refrigerator then brought to room temp. before eating. DH and I both took half the pan to work the next day ... no leftovers :( I would like to try different pudding flavors (chocolate fudge maybe?) Mahalo Pikake21